Wednesday, April 14, 2010

priorities, priorities

So, Lou is gone for a week and I am trying to keep myself in high gear.

I kicked butt this last week on the exercise front -- walked South Park, end to end plus extended the route through the woods a bit (5 miles). Walked to PNC Park for T-shirt Thursday, including surmounting Knox Avenue, which looked like a mother fucking Alp when I thought I had finished all the hills, and turned off Brownsville just to see that Monster of a Mountain looming ahead of me (8 miles). Did an Ohiopyle scrambling hike with the Pittsburgh Hiking Meetup group -- not horribly far but a fast pace for a short person like me, over a lot of rocks and roots, and in my rush I twisted my ankle badly near the beginning and struggled with it the rest of the way (6 miles). Plus two other days I swam -- 40 laps the first day; 50 the subsequent time. And I was very careful with food, especially careful not to overcompensate for the workouts. I was real pleased with my effort.

And then I got on the scale at weight watchers and had lost a whopping 0.6 pounds. Yup, six-tenths of a measly pound in a kickass week. I didn't let myself get too down about it -- as long as I'm in this for the long haul, I know overall it will contribute to my success. And I'm sure it'll show up at the scale next week. And if not, eventually. As long as I can keep pushing myself. That makes 7.8 pounds in seven weeks, which is not Biggest Loser rate (ridiculously fast) and a little slower than I would like. But still, I'm OK with it. I feel a ton better than when I started.

This is how it goes with me. I am on and it is really fairly easy to keep with it; or I am off and it's a daily struggle. And I have been on this time for 7 weeks and that feels great. But I am nervous about all the traveling over the next eight weeks -- Chicago, Florida, Maine/N.J., Chicago. It is harder for me to stay on track when I am not in my routine. But if I can keep my exercise level high and be strict about food without being obnoxious to myself (I am going to eat that kosher prime rib at Dad's that they serve every Saturday night. All of it. It may be all I eat all week. I may do the treadmill three times that day so I can have it. But I will eat it, and love it.) then I will be OK. Then I will get back here and surface in mid-June, and hope I have lost another 8 pounds. If I have I'll be nearly at my first big 10 percent goal. And that would be sweet.

Next time: priorities. Funny, I didn't get to it this time...

No comments: